Seed cycling! Who’s doing it? Who wants to know more about it?
This is one of many tools in your arsenal for helping rein in estrogen, progesterone, and other hormones involved in balancing your menstrual cycle, like testosterone, FSH, and LH.
Seeds typically used for this: flax & pumpkin for days 1-14 or follicular phase; sunflower & sesame for days 15-28 or luteal phase. But why these seeds?
- These seeds contain omega-3 and -6 fatty acids, which are used in producing prostaglandins for reducing inflammation and signalling hormones.
- They also contain phytochemicals like lignans that bind to hormone receptors, and fiber that helps carry excess hormones and their metabolites out of the body.
- And as an added bonus they contain minerals and vitamins that support healthy liver function to help carry out all these actions.
How can you add the benefits of seed cycling to your diet?
- One of my favourite ways: smoothies!
- Sprinkle on salads.
- Top a pasta dish.
- Make pesto with them.
- Snack on them as is.
- Try their butters (e.g. tahini, pumpkin seed butter).
- Add some heartiness to oatmeal/overnight oats/chia pudding.